Whether you are smoking for the first time with a new electronic smoker or habitual to it, trying a new thing always makes us skeptical. The best electric smoker is a blessing as they are user-friendly, and you will not find any trouble while smoking wood pellets in them. Learning how to use wood pellets in an electric smoker is not a tricky thing to do.
Most of the best electric smokers are compatible with wood pellets, and few are not. It is better to buy the one which meets your entire requirements. It will provide you with the best smoking experience.
In this article, you will find all about electric smokers and how to use wood pellets in an electric smoker. A few tips will make your smoking experience mind-blowing. So let’s get started
How to use wood pellets in the electric smoker?
1. Season the electric smoker:
When you are using the new electric smoker for the first time, it might take time. It would be best if you seasoned the smoker properly. Make sure it is empty and there are no odors and solvent residue left. Rub the interior surface and racks. Then, turn the smoker on for 2-3 hours at 250 to 275 degrees F.
After that, turn the smoker off and open its door or hood to cool off before using any component. Every smoker has different seasoning procedures, so make sure you are following the relevant instructions. Seasoning is only required for the first time to remove any chances of harmful ingredients.
2. Turn on the smokers:
Afterward, turn on the smoker. Make sure the cord is attached correctly, and turning it on will put the smoker in stand-by mode. The pre-heating process only starts when you set it at the desired temperature.
3. Add the required amount only:
Now put the wood pellets on the tray, which is located on the lower right side of the machine. Pull out the tray and pack it with the wood pellets of your choice. Once it is complete, slide it back in and turn the handle clockwise so that the pellets are dumped into the heating element.
4. Pre-heat the oven:
Now it is time to pre-heat the oven; if your electric smoker has a digital control panel, press the arrows to increase or decrease the temperature. With temperature knobs, you can rotate them until the indicators points are fixed to the temperature setting.
5. It is ready:
And that is it now you can put water container in the smoker for steam and then cook your meat. The process is not complicated at all. You can add more wood pellets if you find them not enough for the process later while the meat is smoked.
Tips to follow:
In an electric smoker, you can use both wood pellets and wood chips. Here are few tips which will make your pellet experience better:
- Use the wood pellets in the exact amount as you will use the wood chips.
- Use the wood pellets which compliment your meat; if it does not match the flavor of meat and you have started smoking the meat, there is no turning back.
- The wood pellets ignite rapidly, so try not to leave them unattended. You can also try the cold smoking method with wood pellets.
- The wood pellets create a lot of smoke in a matter of few minutes. So be prepared for it, and do not consider it unusual.
- Place the wood pellets in tinfoil packs and poke holes in them for better smoke control.
- Store the unused pellets in a dry place and away from moisture. Wet wood pellets do not mush properly.
- Make sure you are using the right electric smoker for the wood pellets; not all manufacturers allow pellets. If the manufacturer has given you a warning against using it, you will have your warranty void in case of any issues.
Thus, how to use wood pellets in an electric smoker is not something complicated. Remember that every pellet brand offers a different experience. Likewise, every smoker is slightly different in use. The best electric smoker provides you with convenience and the best flavoury meat.